Monday, August 1, 2016

PROSAIC BUT STILL WE WILL TAKE IT OVER THE CROWDS



We went to the big place, the 64 hectare fields, but the lot was full of cars, - maybe almost twenty vehicles.-so I booked it outta there and circled back to the smaller forest that has a wide field at the end. There was nobody there really, save for one guy and his dog finishing up. Well, the place was ours. The sun was beginning to go down, but there was still time and the temperature had lessoned a few degrees. Shaded areas were plentiful and man those mosquitoes though,- so I had forgotten my cap and also my tuk, but I wrapped one of my shirts around my head,- like an eccentric- and off we went. It’s magical how a bird flutters up the way and then dives out of sight. Sometimes I think I hear something else, - but it turns out not to be a coyote or deer or something, but rather just a squirrel in a tree. I saw a white butterfly and he seemed to follow me for a while and then lost himself quite intentionally in some wild raspberry bushes. The flowers that bloomed so bright and confidently in spring and then stayed for what I guess could be called the first half of summer, are now wilted, dying or dead, and there are other odd feral plants and things that grow. It was still hot, but not oppressively so, - and the dogs seemed to like the run and play, the jostle and sniffing, exploring. One great run was had along the top and down the sand pit, - round and round, then across. But then it was time to head back, - the sun continuing to make its descent. Inside the forest they seemed to run after something- but I let them go- more energy out I figure, and fun,- but then when a few long minutes went past I snapped my fingers, made a certain unique clicking sound I do with my mouth,- and even clapped and called their names. The sister came first, as is the case nine out of ten times. “Where is your bother?” I asked, and she looked at me and then looked back in the direction from whence she had run from. Then he came running up, and all was well enough. We went out from there, and left the bugs and slugs. I jumped up on a log for some reason and Jesus if the thing didn’t start rolling. It was huge, and seemed quite stationary, - so I kicked my feet back and maintained balance and then jumped off. If I had fallen, or fallen and hit my head, - it could have been bad. I find, all these years later, - that playing hockey nearly every day for ten or fifteen years, - learning how to fall, how to hit and get hit, how to balance, move, duck, roll, jump, stretch- has stayed with me when I need it- perhaps as rote learning for the body, or else cellular memory as they call it, - or a combination of those and something else. Soon we were out, - and nobody was around. I decided to take the back roads, slow, - past farms and fields, horses and birds, trees and long driveways framed by more trees. This way and that, - air, calm, water, and some music. Why not? - It’s a good way. A person could do worse than walk some beautiful dogs in nature for a while. 




----------------------------------------------------------------- 

No comments:

Post a Comment